Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pain=Worthwhile

I have thought about this topic for a while, and I now know it is true. I often hear from people when they talk about eating good, or when I tell them how much I exercise, they say things like,

"I could never get up that early", "I could never ride my bike that far", I couldn't go a whole week without eating ________ (fill in the blank)."


Some people just don't get it, or if they do, then they just don't care. . . I am like that at times, I will admit it. . that is why I put on 23 lbs since June 24th of 2007. Because I didn't like the pain of working out as hard or eating as good. . . so now I have to deal with the choices I made.


Anything that is easy to do, is not worth doing. Seriously, think about that for a second. If something is easy to do, then it is not worth doing.


Some examples:


Lunch: Going to McDonald's and ordering a double cheeseburger, fries and large Dr.Pepper is very easy. All I have to do is get in my car, drive, pay and then eat.


Free Time: Laying on the couch and watching TV (I struggle with this myself), is very easy and it brings about nothing good.


I am not saying to never watch TV or to never eat at McDonald's (that is what splurge day is for), I am just saying that nothing good comes from those things.


Now, here is what I believe. In order for something to be worthwhile and to bring about true happiness, there has to be struggle and pain involved. Don't believe me. . .? Think about it some.


Examples:


A new baby takes pain and anguish during labor on the part of the mother. . . but in the end, is there anything more worthwhile?


Training for a marathon or Ironman or 5K road race, or bike race takes time and pain when you train for it. Believe me, I find very little pleasure in getting up in the morning and going for a 2-3 hour bike ride in 20 degree weather. Or swimming at 6:00 AM in the morning when I would rather be sleeping.


It is not easy to eat right all the time (except splurge day), it takes work and at times, yes it is painful. . there are times, when it would just be easier to get some tacos at Taco Bell, or a Pizza from Papa Johns. BUT. .the time and pain involved in eating right pays off in the end.


So those are my thoughts on that subject. PAIN=GOOD EASY=BAD

1 comment:

Amy said...

Very good points, Jared. I'm a very lucky lady :)