Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Taper and Redman



Well. . . the season is winding down to an end. The benefit and disadvantage of doing an Ironman in June is that you have a big base of fitness to draw on for the rest of summer, but at the same time all the other races after Ironman just don't seem as important. Luckily this year, my attitude and training has been much better than last and I am ready to get the last race of the season over and done.


Racing a Half Ironman Distance race (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) can be tricky at best. It is long enough that you can't go all out from the beginning and hammer the bike and then hang on for the run and it isn't long enough (like a full Ironman) that you are always pacing yourself and watching the heartrate to make sure it stays around 70%. No, a Half Ironman is somewhere along the lines of suffering and pain with a little bit of mental anguish thrown in.


I have only done one other Half Ironman and that was in September of 2005. I attempted to do two others, but both were cancelled (long story). So, my experience with this distance of a race is not that great. I have a game plan, but executing the plan is the trick.


So the taper started this past weekend. Basically a Taper is a way to decrease the volume of training while maintaing a higher intensity for a shorter period. So instead of a 3 hour bike ride, you would do a 1.5 hour bike ride but at a slightly faster pace. Get the picture? This allows your body to repair itself and for muscles to rebuild and strengthen. While the body enjoys this time, the mind is second guessing itself. It says to do more, go harder, run faster, swim longer. . .

Oh, and don't get me started on the stomach, it still wants the same amount of food that you were eating all along the 5 hour rides and 2.5 hour runs that you were doing before. . . it says fill me up. . . even though you really don't need it. :)


Yes, the taper is a tricky thing. Luckily I am feeling great. . swimming fast in practice, biking really well and actually had a decent and fast (for me) run this morning. Now we just need to see what happens on race day.


Here is a link for the race. Of course I will post results after it is all over and give my race report. Just 3 more days to keep the mind in check and the stomach convinced that it doesn't need any more food. :)


2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so excited for this weekend! You will do great, hunny. I'll get some good pics of you too :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be the craziest fan at the triathlon!!! I'm excited!