Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What lap are we on? Spring Fling Series

Oh it looks fast, but it is just a bike and needs someone to make it go. .. am I worthy? Saturday morning started off well enough. It was 35 degrees and I had a Time Trial at 9:50 in the morning. I needed to place well in the time trial in order to be in the running for the overall series, since I will not be able to race on the 28th. Anyway, to make a long story short, I ended up getting first in the Time Trial, with Randy Booth (from Team Bike Stop) getting second and Dave Corwin (another Bike Stop temmate) getting 5th. Not bad for a new team.


After the Time Trial I went home to get the road bike and then headed back out for the Criterium in the afternoon. The Crit went well for the most part, but someone forgot to tell me (actually I forgot what lap we were on) that the sprint lap was lap 5 for points. Sure enough when we were coming into lap 4, I took off as fast as I could and was pleased that I placed FIRST!! But what did that get me? You guessed it a BIG ZERO POINTS!!! Hey, Jared. . the sprint lap is LAP FIVE!!!! Oh well, I was tired, pretty much out of it after that and then Randy came rolling around after the second turn and said, "get on my wheel". I picked myself up and gave it everything I had to get up to speed with him and hang on to his wheel. For those that don't know cycling, he was being a GREAT Teammate! He could have just took off and went for the points himself, but instead he sacrificed his own sprint to pull me up to have a shot for points. As we came to the finish line I barely squeeked out second place. . .thanks to Randy. Eric, Max and Dave each took turns pulling for the next 4 laps and just being good teammates all around. It is amazing how nice it is to have 4 other guys out there with you when you are racing, just made me feel more calm all around.


Going into the last lap, the guy who won the week before took, off, it was basically a repeat of the week before for me, except this week I got 4th on the final lap, which ended up putting me 3rd for the race.


So a first place in the Prologue (Time Trial) and a 3rd place in the Crit. . not bad but I need to do better in the Crits.


Not a lot of pics this week. . . why you ask? Because the Team Photographer (Amy) was busy. :)


Dave and Randy warming up.



3 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry I missed it! I will be there this weekend :)

Amy said...

We will be going to cheesecake factory afterwards too.

tri2fnsh said...

SWEET ride!