Tuesday, May 20, 2008

2008 Bikesource Triathlon

I know. I am really bad at this whole blog thing. I don't think that many people read it anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter too much. Without further delay. . a little update.


Weight wise, I am down to 196 pounds now. I am happy about this accomplishment even though my goal was to weigh less, but I need to face the fact that I have put on muscle at the same time, so a better guage would have been body fat percentage. . but 196 is better than last year and I still feel as though I can loose another 5-10 pounds by Ironman. If I could be 188 or so. . that would be awesome.


So much for that now on with the race. This is the first time I have done the Bikesource Triathlon as an individual. I have as a team before, but this was way more fun. So the triathlon is a sprint triathlon, consisting of 600 meter swim, 11.5 mile bike and 3 mile run.


The swim is done in Heritage Park Lake (Duck Pond) and water temp was 70 degrees. Really it wasn't that bad at all. . . but my feet did touch the bottom a couple of times while we were waiting to start and they sank into about a foot of mud/yuck/etc. . That stuff really grosses me out.




I had a decent swim. .I was second out of the water, the guy that beat me, only did by a few seconds and the third place guy Sandy Cohen (a friend) was right on my heels and we basically had the same time. I got passed by about 3 people in transition and then hit the bike as hard as I could. All week leading up to the race, I kept telling myself to just HAMMER the bike. . just go as fast as I can till all 11.5 miles were done, and that is what I did.


Normally in the bike part of the triathlon is where I get passed a lot. . well I am happy to report that I passed 3 people and only got passed by 2 people. Individuals that I expected to pass me never did, so to say I am happy with my bike portion is an understatement. The bike leg was 3 loops and had a couple of hills in it that kept everyone honest. I am a decent climber, so even though hills hurt, they can help at the same time. Oh, and I got to use my Giro Advantage 2 Aero Helmet for the first time, and I love it!!!!!


In transition I got passed by about 3 people and then on the run another 5-6 people passed me. I am not a good runner, in fact, I am just plain slow. So, my first mile was 6:48. . and that is acutally very fast for me. .. .the next two miles must have been around 7:30 or so, but I can see that I am becoming a faster runner, but just not fast enough.

Oh, and thank you to Bike Stop (http://www.bikestoponline.com/) for their help and support. Notice the jersey?




My overall time: 59 minutes 50 seconds


Swim Time: 6 minutes 37 seconds (2nd Place in the swim)


Transition 1 Time: 1 minute 38 seconds


Bike Time: 29.09 (6th place in the bike)


Transition 2 Time: 1 minute 6 seconds


Run Time: 21 minutes 22 seconds (83rd place on the run)




Overall Place: 14 out of 206


Age Group: 3 out of 39

6 comments:

Peter said...

I guess I am one of the few you read.

Amy said...

Yuck on the mud in the pond. You did a great job hunny!! I love cheering you on at your triathlons :)

Anonymous said...

The mud would creep me out too, yuck. You did awesome Jared and it was lots of fun watching and cheering!

Anonymous said...

Jared, you had a great race. The season has just begun. I know you will have a great one. By the way, you bike like KC's version of Norman Stadler!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat method[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or little-understood avenues to generate an income online.